Ticker

7/recent/ticker-posts

Misused English Expressions In The African Context


In many African countries, English is a second language heavily influenced by local languages and regional dialects. This blend often leads to unique expressions that, while familiar locally, may not match standard English rules.

For African learners of English, these differences can create confusion and hinder clear communication, particularly in international settings where precise language usage is crucial for effective professional interactions and conveying ideas accurately.

Here are some commonly misused or incorrect expressions among African non-native English speakers, along with their standard English equivalents.

1. "Off head" Instead of "By heart"

Incorrect: "I know it off head."
Correct: "I know it by heart."

This expression often results from a direct translation from local languages where the phrase might make sense. However, in standard English, 'by heart' is the accepted form for memorizing something. Another alternative is 'off-hand.'

2. "He is a big man" Instead of "He is an important/influential man"

Incorrect: "He is a big man in this area."
Correct: "He is an important/influential man in this area."

The phrase "He is a big man" is often used colloquially but may not convey the intended meaning accurately in formal or standard English. When referring to someone's status or influence, it's more appropriate to use terms like "important" or "influential."

For instance, instead of saying, "He is a big man in this area," it's clearer and more precise to say, "He is an important/influential man in this area." This distinction is important because "big" typically refers to physical size, whereas "important" or "influential" describes someone's significance, impact, or authority in a particular context.

Using the correct terms helps ensure clear and effective communication, especially in formal or professional settings where precision and clarity are crucial.

3. "Flash me" instead of "Give me a missed call.

"Incorrect: "Flash me when you get there."
Correct: "Give me a missed call when you get there."

"Flashing" is a term widely used in Africa to mean calling someone briefly and hanging up before they can answer, so they see the call but don't pick up. This is often done to save call charges or to signal something without initiating a full conversation. The standard English equivalent of this term is "Give me a missed call." This phrase is more universally understood and conveys the same action of alerting someone without completing the call.

4. "I am coming" when leaving a place.

Incorrect: (when leaving) "I am coming."
Correct: "I will be right back."

This expression is often used when someone leaves but intends to return shortly. However, it can be confusing in standard English, where "I am coming" means approaching. To avoid confusion, use "I will be right back" to indicate a brief departure to return soon.

5. "Staying in" Instead of "Staying at"

Incorrect: "I am staying in my friend's place."
Correct: "I am staying at my friend's place."

In English, "at" is used to talk about being in a specific place, like a friend's house. For instance, you'd say, "I am staying at my friend's place" to show where you are. On the other hand, "staying in" usually means staying indoors, like in a hotel or at home. It might sound odd to say "staying in" when talking about being at someone's place. So, for clear and correct communication, it's better to use "at" when talking about staying somewhere specific. This way, you stay precise about locations.

6. "Borrow me" Instead of "Lend me"

Incorrect: "Can you borrow me your pen?"
Correct: "Can you lend me your pen?"

In standard English, "borrow" means to take something temporarily, while "lend" means to give something temporarily. Thus, "lend me" is the correct usage.

7. "I am feeling hot" Instead of "I feel hot"

Incorrect: "I am feeling hot."
Correct: "I feel hot."

While "I am feeling hot" is understandable, "I feel hot" is more concise and commonly used in standard English.

8. "You are taking in too much air" Instead of "You are breathing heavily"

Incorrect: "You are taking in too much air."
Correct: "You are breathing heavily."

This phrase is a literal translation that may not be readily comprehensible in English. The standard expression for this action is "breathing heavily."

9. "He is my co-tenant" instead of "He is my roommate/flatmate."

Incorrect: "He is my co-tenant."
Correct: "He is my roommate" (if sharing a room), "He is my flatmate" (if sharing an apartment), or "He is my housemate" (if sharing a house).

"Co-tenant" is not commonly used in standard English. Depending on the living arrangement, "roommate," "flatmate," or "housemate" is more appropriate.

10. "On the queue" instead of "in the queue."

Incorrect: "I am on the queue."
Correct: "I am in the queue."

In standard English, the correct preposition to use is "in" when referring to being part of a queue or line. So, it's more accurate to say "I am in the queue."

11. "Test" instead of "taste."

Incorrect: "Please test the food."
Correct: "Please taste the food."

"Test" and "taste" have different meanings, and "taste" is the correct term when referring to trying a food to evaluate its flavour or quality.

12. "Take in" Instead of "Get pregnant"

Incorrect: "She took in last month."
Correct: "She got pregnant last month."

"Take in" is a direct translation from many African languages but is not used in standard English to mean pregnancy. The appropriate phrase to use in standard English is "get pregnant."

Understanding the Influence of Local Languages

These expressions illustrate how certain phrases can be incorrectly translated from native languages or influenced by regional English variations. While these forms of expression are commonly understood within their local context, they can lead to misunderstandings or seem non-standard in broader English communication. Improving awareness of these differences is crucial for effective communication and language learning.

By recognizing and correcting these commonly misused expressions, non-native speakers can enhance their proficiency and ensure their English aligns more closely with global standards, facilitating clearer and more effective communication.

Post a Comment

0 Comments